Is AI a boon or a bane to the future of human existence? The dominant idea to create artificial intelligence is to make the lives of humans easier. Researchers of artificial intelligence want to bring in the emotional quotient to the machines along with the general intelligence and hence AI will become a vital part of our organizations.
With the rise of computers, the process of doing manual work has been decreased to a great extent. And now humans are highly dependent on computers. Sometimes there are situations like a machine that performs far more better than humans. The only question along with that is "Can a machine behave like a human". Though this was a general thought, its curiosity leads to the development of artificial intelligence (AI).
AI development has begun with the intention of developing intelligence in machines similar to that of humans.Artificial intelligence (AI) can be shortly defined as a subfield of computer science. The main advantage of using artificial intelligence machines, computers, etc is to impersonate the activities which were earlier done by human beings and ease their lives. Even though machines cannot perform all the activities of humans, we can train them to some extends.
We can't blindly tell that AI will replace human's works in the future. According to the authors, there will be scenarios where humans complement AI and where AI will complement humans. So that for future achievement both humans and AI should complement each other. And there the right result arises. Humans can complement AI in three areas: training, explaining, and sustaining.
Training is the primary step. AI needs data to learn and it is named as the training phase. From the training phase, AI creates predictions. In the future, we may have training agents which are focused exclusively on training AI based on the requirements of that business. If it’s a factory, a training agent could be responsible for training a robot; if it’s an eCommerce business, a training agent could be responsible for aggregating historical data.Explaining can be the next phase. We need to understand how and why AI provided a specific answer to a specific problem. Generally, we face a trade off between the explainability and the accuracy of AI. The black-box AI methods have more accuracy compared to methods that can be easily explained. Even though there are tools that are developed to explain why a black-box AI made a specific prediction, we may need a job role that can understand and explain the outcomes of AI. Here we can see a human and AI combination.Sustaining is that we want to make sure about the functioning of the machine as expected or not. There are examples of when sustainability fails. We may need roles whose responsibility is to ensure that AI systems are working as expected.
There are some situations where AI complements humans. The potential of AI gives humans superpowers because AI makes predictions faster and more precisely than humans ever could. These superpowers can be expressed in the value that they bring to a given situation or action. We, humans, design something cheap, and strong with the help of the respective tool. AI tries to create a design that is based on the given criteria and provides the results to humans. The designer then uses chooses one of the given designs and uses their creativity on that design to make the final touches. This is similar to what computers provided to people with the computer age—just at a new and exciting level of capacity in terms of what kinds of things AI can assist with.Interaction with people is one of the properties where AI application works. AI can act as an assistant to help people by interacting with them. Amazon’s Alexa, Google Home, and Apple’s Siri are prominent examples of this kind of interactive AI agent.Examples of AI-fueled physical augmentation can be found in factories. Although factories are operated by robots right now, they are mostly rule-based systems and put in a cage just in case for safety. Robots will help humans as co-workers and will be designed not to harm people while freely moving and working in a factory.
Listing the application of AI in the past, present and future is very difficult. It is a complicated mixture of several subjects like computers, mathematics, etc. Here are some applications that should be known in our day to day life.
1. Digital Assistance: Of course, several organizations use digital assistants who can interact with the users that save human power and time. Whereas humans get updated responses within a short period. The organization no need to carry many labors for digital assistance.
2. No more errors: Artificial intelligence helps us in reducing the error and the chance of reaching accuracy with a greater degree of precision. It is applied in various studies. Machine take decisions based on previous data records. With algorithms, the chances of errors are reduced. This is an achievement, as solving complex problems require difficult calculation that can be done without any error. Business organizations use digital assistants to interact with their users, this helps them to save an ample amount of time.
3. Daily Application: Computed methods for automated reasoning, learning and perception have become a common phenomenon in our everyday lives. When we go for long drives and trips we use the help of GPS. The smartphone is an apt and everyday example of how we use artificial intelligence. In utilities, we find that they can predict what we are going to type and correct the human errors in spelling. That is machine intelligence at work.
Taking a picture and posting it on social media is a usual practice. we can see that the artificial intelligence algorithm identifies and detects the person’s face and tags the individuals when we are posting our photographs on social media sites.
4. Repetitive Jobs: Machines think faster than humans and can be put to multi-tasking. Machine intelligence can be employed to carry out dangerous tasks. The parameters of AI can be adjusted whereas it is quite difficult in humans. Their speed and time are calculation based parameters only.
While playing a game most of the machines are our opponents and they respond like a human opponent sometimes more even fast and better than humans. The machine intelligence plans the game movement in response to our movements. We can consider gaming to be the most common use of the benefits of artificial intelligence.
5. Medical Applications: Artificial intelligence in surgeries is not so new applications it is a common application in hospitals. Surgeries are common in the medical field. Doctors assess the patients and their health risks with the help of artificial machine intelligence. It educates them about the side effects of various medicines. It finds a huge application in detecting and monitoring neurological disorders. One of the popular applications of artificial intelligence is radiosurgery. Radiosurgery is used in operating tumors and this can help in the operation without damaging the surrounding tissues.
6. No cool time: A human employee needs a break or a chill time in between the bulk of works. Machines, unlike humans, do not require frequent breaks and refreshments. They are programmed for long hours and can continuously perform without getting bored or distracted or even tired.
7. Better prediction in weather forecasting: In the recent few years, we have seen the use of Artificial Intelligence and its technologies in weather and climate forecasting. The field of “Climate Informatics” is constantly blossoming as it inspires a better collaboration between data scientists and climate scientists. This collaboration has come up with tools to observe and analyze increasingly complex climate data. This has helped significantly in bridging the gap between understanding and data.
8. A next-generation disaster response: AI has aptly demonstrated its indispensability in analyzing smart disaster responses and providing real-time data of disasters and weather events. So there are more demands for the same. This is extremely useful for humans as they can detect the vulnerabilities of an area and hence help in improving disaster preparation.
9. Right decision-maker: Emotions are not a concern for machines. So the absence of emotions from a machine makes it more efficient as they can make the right decisions in a short period. The best example of this is its usage in healthcare. The integration of AI tools in the healthcare sector has improved the efficiency of treatments by minimizing the risk of false diagnosis.
10. AI in Transportation: Transportation is a field where artificial intelligence together with machine learning has produced major innovations. Autonomous vehicles like cars, buses, etc use advanced capabilities that offer features like lane-changing systems, automated vehicle guidance, automated braking, use of sensors and cameras for collision avoidance, and analyzing information in real-time by using AI, among others. It ultimately saving human lives by reducing road accidents.
11. AI in Farming Farming is another sector that has been heavily benefited from AI. This is an industry full of challenges like competition for natural resources, plateauing agricultural productivity, and rapidly growing population. Real-time data analytics help farmers to maximize their crop yields and thus, in turn, their profits too.
12. Strengthened economy Artificial intelligence promotes a gradual evolution in the job field, which will be positive with companies planning. Humans will still work, but they’ll be working more efficiently with the help of AI. So that it cannot be considered as a drawback of AI. Besides this unparalleled combination of machine and human, there will be a natural requirement of trained people who’ll be supervising the systems, apart from those who’ll do certain jobs. It’ll gradually result in more job openings, thus solidifying the economy.
13. Cities will be smarter AI is being implemented by various authorities to optimize different facilities. Artificial intelligence is considered as a way to deal with large volumes of data and to identify efficient ways of responding to various public requests. Instead of addressing service issues in ad hoc manners, authorities are implementing AI to be proactive in how urban services can be provided. Smart city applications often use artificial intelligence to improve environmental planning, service delivery, energy utilization, resource management, and crime prevention, among others. Some of the top applications include intelligent traffic signals, e-governance applications, smart meters for utilities, Wi-Fi kiosks, etc.
14. Enhance lifestyle With the increasing implementation of AI in different segments of society, the overall lifestyle of humans gets enhanced. Some of the mundane tasks such as data entry or answering emails can be performed by intelligent assistants, freeing up precious time for humans to focus on creative aspects of the work. Smart homes can be made capable of providing better security and reducing energy usage that would greatly promote the concept of a greener environment.
15. Benefits of Artificial Intelligence in Banking Artificial intelligence helps in increasing revenue, faster decision making and having a good customer relationship. Having Artificial intelligence not only ensures that the customers are happy but it also helps the banks to maintain and have a well organized back office. Artificial Intelligence has an enormous ability to detect and minimize banking fraud. The tool that is used for Artificial Intelligence gets smarter and smarter day by day, which in turn helps in powerful machine learning. There are applications to process document invoices with 99% accuracy, which takes less time and cost.
Apart from considering the pros and cons of AI, it is better to use the application of AI and be a part of the AI world. AI and robotics will improve the way we think, the way we explore new horizons, whether space or the ocean. As the age-old saying goes, necessity is the mother of all innovations, so is the case with AI. Human beings know what they need and are getting increasingly better in defining their wants and quickly transforming this into reality.